IRS Online Account Access for Individuals and Business Owners
Creating an IRS online account not only helps speed up communications, but it can also help to keep you organized. When you think of the IRS, “technologically advanced” probably does not immediately spring to mind. The IRS online account platform is a major improvement over the traditional IRS communication methods that rely on long hold times, snail mail, and faxing (yes, faxing) of documents back and forth.
There are a variety of situations where an IRS account can be beneficial, including:
- View balances owed.
- Make tax payments.
- Receive email notifications when the IRS issues a notice on your account.
- Receive tax notices online.
- View your records such as tax payments, returns filed, and income reported by third parties.
- Authorize your tax professional to act on your behalf to resolve tax matters with the IRS.
Even if you do not have a pressing need to correspond with the IRS, it is a good idea to set up an account and regularly review your tax information. A tax professional can assist in this review, and can potentially find errors or things you might have overlooked. Most tax notices are generated by the omission from your return of information the IRS already has. Obtaining and submitting this information to your preparer along with the rest of your tax documents at filing time will reduce your chances of receiving a notice later in the year.
How do I sign up?
Go to irs.gov.
- Click on “Sign in to your account”.
- You will have the option to sign in to either an individual or business account. If you are a business owner, you will need to set up both business and individual accounts separately. However, the sign-in credentials can be the same for both.
- The IRS uses ID.me to manage the setup and sign-in process. To set up an account, you will need your driver’s license and your cell phone handy. The process consists of uploading your driver’s license and taking a selfie to verify your identity.
The IRS online portal is likely the first step to moving more interactions with the IRS online. State taxing authorities also have similar platforms that make tax notice resolution, tax payments, and information-gathering more efficient, and we encourage you to explore those options as well.
Whitt Accounting offers assistance with tax preparation, review and planning. Contact our team to learn more about our services or to have a professional review your tax information.